The Regenerative power of Phytoplankton: Can double in mass every 24 hours.
Our journey started in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans. Phil Kithil, our founder and CEO, saw the devastation and was moved to do something about it. He designed a wave-powered pump that would bring cold seawater to the ocean’s surface to reduce the intensity of hurricanes. It worked perfectly! And, he discovered that when you do that, you also grow tiny plants called phytoplankton. Like trees, they absorb CO2 as they grow, but much faster. When they die, they sink to the ocean floor, locking up that CO2 for 100 years or more. It’s a 100% natural carbon sequestration system.
We use ocean wave power to nurture fast growing Phytoplankton.
We build, deploy and manage arrays of wave-powered pumps; then measure CO2 sequestered on behalf of our customers, who can then claim carbon credits.
Artificial Upwelling for Carbon Dioxide Removal
We use ocean wave energy to pump nutrient-rich deep ocean seawater to the sunlit surface to grow phytoplankton that, when they die or are eaten/pooped by the fish and marine life that feed on them, sink to the mid & deep ocean where the carbon is stored for centuries or longer.
We provide an Ocean-based Climate Solution that is:
- 65% of the Earth’s surface is ocean desert, the environment for our technology.
- Requires no electricity to operate, powered by ocean waves.
- Pumps are deployed far offshore and away from coral reefs to circulate in the ocean deserts.
- Requires no land.
- Requires no water use.
- Far away from coastal communities.
- Fishers love them because they produce more fish and are deployed in unproductive waters (ocean deserts).
Durable & Measurable
- Artificial Upwelling sequesters carbon for 100 years or more in most of North Pacific Subtropical Gyre, where we deploy our Pumps. Oceans capture and store carbon differently than land-based carbon removal. We use sophisticated scientific instruments to measure how deep the phytoplankton sinks which can be independently validated and verified by a third-party.
- We equip each Pump with GPS to track and other sensors to monitor their operating status.
- Pumps are designed to work physically and biologically in the sea, free-drifting the vast ocean gyres. 99% of the Pump is submerged underwater, protecting it from the harsh ocean environment, and we have designed it for ducking under waves greater than 3 meters.
Since 2005 we’ve raised more than 4 million dollars to test and refine our technology. We’ve partnered with major research institutions to test the pumps in labs and the open ocean.
In 2008, The Discovery Channel featured our pumps in a program called Hungry Oceans.
Today, our pumps are ready to go.
About our Founder
Philip W. Kithil, Serial Entrepreneur, Inventor & Visionary
A serial entrepreneur and inventor, Philip has founded six startups since 1972 in apparel manufacturing & retailing, economic consulting, advertising, association management & public relations, automotive safety, and renewable marine energy relating to ocean ecosystem restoration and climate restoration.
In the automotive safety technology venture, he was an inventor on 11 issued U.S. and international patents. Between founding the company in 1994 and 2003, he successfully licensed ASCI’s intellectual property to six automotive tier one suppliers, then in 2004 sold the patent portfolio to Methode Electronics, Inc.
Currently, he serves as Chairman & CEO of Atmocean, Inc., formed to commercialize his wave-energy system invention and its spin-out company Ocean-based Climate Solutions, Inc., which seeks to commercialize the patents-pending Oxygenator™ wave-powered upwelling/downwelling technology, and Stock For Carbon™ funding method which empowers public corporations to become net-negative CO2 at zero cost (by paying in stock rather than cash).
Middlebury College. Economics B.A. 1965
The University of Denver. Economics MSBA 1971
Our mission is to capture gigatons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and store it in the deep ocean. By doing this, we’ll help companies achieve net-zero emissions; governments meet their Paris Climate Accord promises; slow global warming; and replenish life in the sea. We accomplish this by delivering nutrients from the deep ocean to the surface with artificial upwelling pumps deployed far offshore and away from coral reefs that leverage the regenerative power of phytoplankton to absorb carbon dioxide and provide food for fish. We must build pumps that can survive the harshest of ocean environments, deploy pumps safely, measure the CO2 sequestered as accurately as possible, and take care of our team by providing a livable wage.
Our vision is to end the climate crisis, enabling Earth’s infinite wave power to slow global warming and return life to the sea.