Artificial Upwelling for Carbon Dioxide Removal
We use ocean wave energy to pump nutrient-rich deep ocean seawater to the sunlit surface to grow phytoplankton that, when they die or are eaten/pooped by the fish and marine life that feed on them, sink to the mid & deep ocean where the carbon is stored for centuries or longer.
We provide an Ocean-based Climate Solution that is:
- 65% of the Earth’s surface is ocean desert, the environment for our technology.
- Requires no electricity to operate, powered by ocean waves.
- Pumps are deployed far offshore and away from coral reefs to circulate in the ocean deserts.
- Requires no land.
- Requires no water use.
- Far away from coastal communities.
- Fishers love them because they produce more fish and are deployed in unproductive waters (ocean deserts).
Durable & Measurable
- Artificial Upwelling sequesters carbon for 100 years or more in most of North Pacific Subtropical Gyre, where we deploy our Pumps. Oceans capture and store carbon differently than land-based carbon removal. We use sophisticated scientific instruments to measure how deep the phytoplankton sinks which can be independently validated and verified by a third-party.
- We equip each Pump with GPS to track and other sensors to monitor their operating status.
- Pumps are designed to work physically and biologically in the sea, free-drifting the vast ocean gyres. 99% of the Pump is submerged underwater, protecting it from the harsh ocean environment, and we have designed it for ducking under waves greater than 3 meters.
Since 2005 we’ve raised more than 4 million dollars to test and refine our technology. We’ve partnered with major research institutions to test the pumps in labs and the open ocean.
In 2008, The Discovery Channel featured our pumps in a program called Hungry Oceans.
Today, our pumps are ready to go.