We can sequester CO2 and replenish the ocean with fish and marine life
Ocean Upwelling’s potential for Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal (mCDR) is incredible because it achieves these essential outcomes:
- Directly captures and sequesters CO2 from the atmosphere and stores it in the ocean.
- Replenishes the ocean with fish and other marine life near the pump.
- Destratifies the surface of the ocean (cooling) near the pump.
- Oxygenates the waters near the pump.
- Creates mCDR credits that companies can use to make ocean-friendly-net-zero carbon emission products or services like automobiles, airline services, and smartphones like the one in your hand.
Ocean Upwelling is:
- 65% of the Earth’s surface area is ocean desert, the best environment for ocean upwelling pump technology.
- Requires no electricity to operate, powered by ocean waves.
- Pumps are deployed far offshore and away from coral reefs to circulate in the ocean deserts.
- Requires no land.
- Requires no water use.
- Far away from coastal communities.
- Fishers will love them because they produce more fish and are deployed in unproductive waters (ocean deserts).
Durable & Measurable
- Ocean Upwelling Pumps can sequester carbon dioxide for up to 1200 years or more.
- We equip each Pump with Sensors and GPS to track and monitor their operating status.
You can learn more about Ocean Upwelling and its scientific basis here.